The Madison Schools offer the Creative Curriculum and the GOLD Assessment to children age 3 at area schools-Lapham, Falk and Muir. The program is designed for children with disabilities and their peers. They are led by a Special Education Teacher and supported by a Special Education Assistant, Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist, Speech and Language Therapist and other support staff.
Early learning peers must be 3 years of age on or before September 1st of the school year to participate. They must be able to take care of all their toileting needs and be mostly independent in their daily living, dressing, and feeding skills. They must speak fluent English and be able to use their verbal communication skills to effectively communicate their wants and needs. All parents must complete an Ages and Stages Questionnaire (ASQ3), an informal speech sound profile, a signed peer agreement, and must be interviewed by the classroom teacher prior to acceptance.
It is anticipated that early learning peers will naturally provide appropriate responses to different learning situations. These responses serve as wonderful learning experiences for our early learning participants experiencing delays in their development. In turn, early learning peers have the opportunity to participate in many fun and exciting learning activities provided by our experienced staff. Early learning peers gain empathy, leadership skills and school readiness skills.
The Early Learning Session is a free program. Parents are required to provide transportation to/from the program. Questions or concerns can be discussed with the Early Learning Session teacher or Early Childhood Program Support teacher.
What are the expectations of peer models?
- Be at least three years old on or before September 1st and not have turned four years old prior to September 1st of the current school year
- Live within the Madison Metropolitan School District boundaries
- Be fully toilet trained
- Demonstrate age-appropriate self-help and social skills (e.g. drinks from an open cup, willing to initiate play with other children, able to follow directions with minimal prompting)
- Speak in sentences appropriate to the child’s age-level in English.
When and where are peer model programs?
Falk (West), Muir (Memorial), and Lapham (East) Elementary schools will have Early Learning Sessions for the 2017-2018 school year
Classes run 4 half-days/week, Tuesday through Friday. Peer Models are expected to attend 4 half-days/week (AM or PM session) and demonstrate good attendance. Children with diabilities may attend 1-4 half-days/week.
- Below are the approximate current sites/times for the 2017-2018 school year (times subject to change):
- Muir: 8:20 a.m.-11:32 a.m.
- Falk: 7:35 a.m.-10:47 a.m.
- Falk: 11:28 a.m.-2:42 p.m.
- Lapham: 7:35 a.m.-10:47 a.m.
- Lapham: 11:28 a.m.-2:42 p.m.
Think you know someone who might make a good peer model?
Click the link below to complete the online application form:
Peer Model Program Application Form
Call the Pre-K Information Line at 608-663-8471 for more information.
*NOTE: Early Learning Sessions may be discontinued during a school year due to limited number of students with Special Education Needs. MMSD is not required to offer programming for all 3 year old children. We cannot guarantee that a site will remain open throughout the school year.